referrals in 1.6

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 27 10:54:40 EST 2007

    Nicolas> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:01:09AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> The question of what to do about extra TGS reqs is going to be the big
    >> one in whether MIT will accept various zeroconf proposals etc.  I'm
    >> really concerned about the performance of KDC requests and DNS traffic
    >> especially on cell phone links.
    >>
    >> In the 1.7 planning call no one else expressed this concern,but in
    >> practice I'e found Kerberos is hard to use over a cell phone.

    Nicolas> It sounds like you'd want a compile-time switch for default behaviour.
    Nicolas> That's certainly reasonable.  It's not yet clear that it would be
    Nicolas> reasonable to exclude support for a configuration knob for selecting
    Nicolas> service principal name/realm canonicalization methods.

It's basically our policy to avoid compile-time switches.  That was
something Marshall was very firm about; he's no longer around and we
could evaluate whether the reasons for that policy still apply.

however I don't think a compile time switch is a good fit for
something that basically depends on network connectivity and
characteristics of the realm you are interacting with.

--Sam