Compilation problem on HPUX

nukala krishna hari_nv2001 at yahoo.co.in
Wed Aug 29 12:52:33 EDT 2007

Hi Ken,

        Thanks for the help. When i looked into config.log, I saw the below lines.

configure:1275: loading cache ./config.cache
configure:1388: checking for gcc
configure:1404: found /usr/local/bin/gcc
configure:1414: result: gcc
configure:1658: checking for C compiler version
configure:1661: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.0.2
configure:1664: $? = 0
configure:1666: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11
Configured with: ../gcc/configure
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.0.2
configure:1669: $? = 0
configure:1671: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1674: $? = 1
configure:1700: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1703: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't open unix98.o
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:1706: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 1677 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:1733: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Here the log says that, it is looking for unix98.o. But my machine is having unix95.o in /usr/lib directory. I don't have unix98.o in my machine. Can't I build using unix95.o? If I can, does it results to any side effects?

Thanks
Hari