Proposal for NIM 2.0 Multiple Identity Provider User Experience andPK-INIT

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 7 13:13:34 EDT 2007

My current presumption is that a smart card should be used if there
is one plugged into a known interface at the time a decision needs to
be made.  I'm assuming you can distinguish between a real smart card
and a pkcs11 library (which may be hard, may even be undesirable in
some debugging scenarios).

 From a service provider viewpoint the direction I'm considering is
to support the cards and as a fallback some kind of OTP scheme for
each Kerberos principal.  Each principal/identity would have the
option of using either.  The selection of which to use would be made
at the client based most likely on whether a card reader with card
was available.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu