living in a multi-mech world

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 30 19:48:02 EDT 2007

Nicolas> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 12:16:44AM -0500, Nicolas
Nicolas> Williams wrote:
>>> Pseudo-mechs shouldn't get direct access to other mechs -- they
>>> should always re-enter the mechglue (recursion ends because the
>>> various input parameters refer to other mechanisms -- as long
>>> as the pseudo-mechanism itself is not infinitely recursive).
>>>
>>> Re-entering the mechglue from pseudo-mechanisms should add some
>>> overhead (extra frames on the stack), but not data copies.

Nicolas> Although, provided
Nicolas> gss_get/set_name/cred/context_mech_specific() functions
Nicolas> and a gss_dlopen() then it would be reasonable for
Nicolas> pseudo-mechs to invoke the mechanisms directly.  And that
Nicolas> would save a bit of overhead.