Plugins and ASN.1

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 2 18:04:51 EDT 2006

Hi folks.

We noticed today when going through some recent Novell patches that
code using the internals of the ASN.1 library had been added to the
LDAP plugin.

There's a fairly strict abstraction barrier around the inner parts of
the ASN.1 library.  Routines from krb5_encode.c and krb5_decode.c can
be called from anyone who includes k5-int.h.

However anything requiring the header files or asn1_*.c files needs to
remain in lib/krb5/asn.1.

In practice that means encoders and decoders for plugin data
structures need to live in the main krb5 library.

I don't know of a good way around this without opening some rather
messy abstractions to the plugins.