need help with LDAP plug-in code and liblber dependency

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue May 23 21:27:13 EDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 19:02, Will Fiveash wrote:
> I'm doing some hacking to get the new MIT LDAP plug-in code to work
> and
> while I've got everything to compile I find that the kldap.so in
> src/plugins/kdb/ldap insists on having a dependency on:
>
> liblber-2.2.so.7 =>      (file not found)
>
> I believe that this dependency is not necessary in Solaris because
> libldap contains the exported liblber functions (I think).

Ah, good.  Then we certainly should be able to leave it out.

> I've
> searched all the files and tried to convince the build logic not to
> link
> kldap.so with -llber but I can't seem to get rid of that
> liblber-2.2.so.7 dependency.  Any advice here is welcome.

[Fixed in your followup message.]

> As an aside, I'd be happy to contribute changes back to get the MIT
> LDAP
> plug-in to work with the native LDAP but I need advice here as to the
> appropriate files to change (probably related to autoconf).

Yes, probably ldap/libkdb_ldap/{configure.in,Makefile.in} ... I'd
suggest creating an LDAP_LIBS variable which would be set to "-lldap -
llber" for the OpenLDAP packages on my Red Hat desktop system, and "-
lldap" for Solaris, based on detecting what libraries exist and
whether they provided (some of) the needed functions.

Ken