error info handling in MIT krb5 code

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 29 13:09:08 EST 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 09:49, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'm concerned that the native translation mechanism on OS X and
> Windows does not support printf style formatting.

It may not be printf formatting precisely, though I think it's safe
to say *some* kind of formatting will have to be supported on each
system.  If printf formatting (POSIX printf %1$s type formatting,
that is) isn't available, I think we've got a few options:

* programmatic translation of format strings, if the formatting
schemes are similar enough
* roll our own formatting code (or borrow from some open-source
implementation)
* different translation output for Windows etc in accordance with the
OS formatting scheme; this would have to include English "translations"
* multiple versions of messages everywhere we report errors (very bad)