error info handling in MIT krb5 code

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Mon Mar 27 20:07:01 EST 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 01:09:19PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'd recommend against use of macros to capture line and file
> especially for a semi-public interface.

Such information should be logged if configured to log it.  It's useful
to have file name and line number information for debugging, but users
shouldn't see it normally.

> I'm concerned about having complex formatting in the error handling
> interfaces.  I'm concerned that it may make translation of strings
> harder particularly for Apple and Windows.  I don't know what the
> solution is here.

We've run into this problem in Solaris with SASL.

Solutions include: per-thread LC_MESSAGES settings and message catalog
lookup functions extended to accept a locale name.  None are
implemented...

In public krb5 APIs it may be best to add an argument for passing locale
names for localization of strings, NULL implying "current locale";
initially these would be ignored until OS vendors added message catalog
functions that take locale names as arguments.

Nico