[OpenAFS-devel] aklog on MacOS X was Re: Service Ticket Questions

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 18 13:28:56 EST 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 4:34 AM, emoy at apple.com wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>> this is
>> really an OpenAFS discussion.  krbdev at mit.edu is meant to be a
>> mailing
>> list focused on development of the MIT Kerberos reference
>> implementation.
>>
>> The fundamental issue being discussed here is whether the
>> Kerberos.App
>> display of the Kerberos Credential Cache contents can be used as an
>> indication by end users that the AFS kernel module contains tokens
>> for
>> that user.  Hank is claiming that presence of an "afs/cellname at REALM"
>> service ticket in the credential cache is an indicator that there are
>> AFS tokens installed in the AFS kernel module.
>>
>> I believe that end users should be discouraged from checking the
>> Kerberos credential cache to see if they have AFS tokens because
>> doing
>> so is fundamentally flawed.  There are many reasons why tokens
>> might be
>> removed from the AFS kernel after their initial installation let
>> alone
>> reasons why tokens might not be able to be stored in the first place.
>> Therefore, using the Kerberos credential cache as a replacement for
>> the
>> "tokens" command or a GUI token display will only make the lives of
>> end
>> users and those that support them more difficult.
>>
>> If there is a concern that the presence of the AFS service ticket
>> will
>> be misinterpreted as meaning that tokens are present then perhaps the
>> thing to do is modify aklog and anything that derives from its code
>> base
>> to not use the default credential cache and instead use a local
>> memory
>> cache.  We could make this the default behavior and allow the default
>> credential cache be used when "-d" is specified on the command
>> line to
>> allow the presence of the service tickets to be used for debugging
>> purposes.
>
> One other place that the credential cache and the AFS token get out
> of sync is when trying to renew the TGT.  Renewal of the TGT and AFS
> token is a whole subject on its own, but suffice it to say that
> running "kinit -R" will renew the TGT, but remove the AFS service
> ticket, while the AFS token remains unchanged.

This is not an issue for the KLL loginLogout aklog plugin.  The KLL
loginLogout plugins run whenever new tickets are acquired, including
when renewal occurs.  All of this support works great except when
Kerberos tickets are acquired during console login.

During console login the KLL is called by the Kerberos authplugin
which is loaded by authorizationhost.  In Tiger authorizationhost
runs as root or the securityagent user depending on whether
",privileged" was specified in /etc/authorization.  The
authorizationhost is spawned by the SecurityAgent and is not part of
the chain of processes which will eventually be the user's login
session.  Unfortunately AFS only associates tokens with a user by two
mechanisms: magic entries in the user's group list or the user's
uid.  Since the KLL loginLogout plugins have neither the user's uid
or access to the user's group list, they cannot store AFS tokens
properly during login.

Now I believe I asked Conrad Sauerwald to insert some code into the
Kerberos authplugin which tries to work around this issue.  If
",privileged" is specified and the authorizationhost is running as
root, the plugin will try to call KLStoreNewInitialTicketCredentials
() with its effective uid temporarily set to the user's effective
uid.  Which means it might be possible to get the uid-based storage
working so long as ",privileged" is specified.  Folks should
definitely test this though because I haven't actually tried it since
before Tiger shipped.

Note that specifying ",privileged" isn't a big deal because the KLL
needs to run as root to read your /etc/krb5.keytab anyway.

The best way to solve this is to have AFS use the Mac OS X Security
Session model for storing tokens so that it doesn't need to depend on
either the user's uid or their group list.  This is what Kerberos
uses for credentials and what most all of the keychain stuff uses.
I'm not sure how much progress has been made, or if the functionality
necessary to make this work for a kernel module is even present.  But
really that's the right way to do it.

> [...]
> places that allocate pthread mutexes but don't initialize with
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER as per POSIX, and would have made a
> difference on Mac OS X, since when uninitialized, it would reside in
> common segment, which is not allowed for a bundle.  Initializing it
> moves it into a data segment.)
>
> So I finally created the PAM module, which only does session open and
> close.  The open calls aklog to create the token.  The close does the
> equivalent of unlog, but I then commented that out, since I can
> imagine being logging into the GUI, when an ssh session comes in,
> renews the AFS token and then removes it on logout, leaving the GUI
> without a token.  Some mechanism for the last-one-out removing the
> token is needed.
>
> So fine, I have a PAM module, but so what?  Well, I also wrote a
> loginwindow "LoginHook", that is called loginwindow_pam_helper.  It
> gets run when loginwindow finishes authenticating (presuming /etc/
> authorization is set up to do Kerberos authentication).  It then does
> the usual PAM stuff to open a session and I set up the PAM config
> file to call my pam_aklog module.  In loginwindow_pam_helper, I use a
> kqueue to monitor when loginwindow terminates (usually when the user
> logs out, or if loginwindow dies) and then close the session.
>
> Well, this actually all works!  I log in, and my AFS tokens are
> there.  I can even set up a .xlog file and get tokens for multiple
> cells.
>
> Now I'm not saying this is the best approach.  My thinking was that a
> PAM module would be useful for other Unix platforms as well, but
> doesn't really fit in so nicely in Mac OS X.  The KFM might be a
> little cleaner, though Mac OS X specific.  But it might be possible
> to get loginwindow to do PAM directly, so my loginwindow_pam_helper
> wouldn't be needed anymore, and then the PAM module might fit in
> better (of course, I'm not on the loginwindow team, so I can't say
> they will make this change).
>
> Mac OS X also has it's own way of doing things, like the
> Authorization Services framework.  Now I'm a Unix guy, so the
> Authorization Services framework is new to me.  But it might also be
> feasible to put in aklog as a plug-in.  Then loginwindow could get to
> aklog through Authorization Services, and since there is already a
> pam_securityserver.so module that calls into the Authorization
> Services framework, things like ssh might also be able to get to
> aklog.  Again this is Mac OS specific, but could be the cleanest way
> for both Mac OS X applications and command-line programs to get aklog
> access.  And since aklog is embeddable, we could build the aklog
> program, the aklog PAM module, the aklog Authorization plug-in and
> possibly even the KFM KLL plug-in, all using the same base code.
>
> Anyways, Derrick, let me know if I can be of help with the KFM KLL
> plug-in (which is something else I don't know much about).

The problem with using a pam plugin is that it won't run every time
new tickets are acquired.  The KLL loginLogout plugins even run when
Kerberos.app is automatically renewing your tickets. It is this
seamlessness which probably originally inspired Henry Hotz to want to
use the presence of the afs service ticket to indicate that afs
tokens had been acquired.  Now you could write a loginLogout plugin
that calls pam modules, but that will just land you back at the
problem I described above.

You can actually hinge successful Kerberos ticket acquisition on
successful AFS token acquisition.  The loginLogout plugin API allows
the plugin to cancel ticket acquisition if the plugin fails.  However
this means that if you can't get AFS tokens, you also won't be able
to get tickets -- probably not terribly useful unless you have an AFS
home directory -- then no tokens really does mean you can't do anything.

As a side note the loginLogout plugins are called for all ticket
acquistion.  So if the user has two identities such as user at REALM and
user/admin at REALM, the plugin needs to be smart about how it gets
tokens when the plugin is called for both of them.

--lxs

Alexandra Ellwood <lxs at mit.edu>
MIT Kerberos Development Team
<http://mit.edu/lxs/www>