Password sync plugin, and questions about plugin criticality

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at sun.com
Mon Jun 26 15:51:45 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:33:38AM -0400, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> Continuing an earlier discussion regarding password change tracking and
> a plugin interface...
>
> This seems relatively straightforward to do.  The only wrinkle I see is
> that some people want to do this before the local k5 database is updated,
> and some people want to do it after.  Both had (in my mind) valid points
> why they wanted it that way.
>
> Here are some suggested entry points for a password sync plugin interface.
> Comments?
>
> void pwupdate_init(void **context, krb5_context);

As an aside, my experience with the C compiler's inability to strictly
type check "void *" function parameters has led me to think that it is
good to avoid "void *" parameters when possible.

Instead of "void *", something along the lines of:

typedef struct context *context_t;

void pwupdate_init(context_t *context, krb5_context);

(The actual definition of struct context can be in a header private to
the plugin.)  Then the compiler can catch pointer problems that it can
not when "void *" is used.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.