Password sync plugin, and questions about plugin criticality

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Mon Jun 26 09:15:19 EDT 2006

>Well, the problem is that I have to fit into the MIT plugin architecture.
>That sort of drives what the interfaces look like.

Ah. I am still relatively "new" to MIT so am still figuring these
things out.

>I don't think I follow this; how exactly is this supposed to work?
>Specifically, I don't understand what kapi_pblock_* is doing.

OK, perhaps an example was the wrong approach. What I was trying
to convey was that can be useful for each entry point to take a
single (or well defined number of) argument(s).

One argument would be an opaque "parameter block" or handle; the
SPI would provide appropriate accessor functions.

That way both the API and ABI can be maintained as the interface
is extended. It can also make it easier to generalize the SPI
layer for different sorts of plugins.

(As an example, in OpenLDAP we implemented SLAPI inside their
native "overlay" API; with few exceptions the SPI layer is the
same regardless of the type of plugin that is being invoked.)

-- Luke