"Operation not supported" error code

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Jun 14 11:34:00 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 14, 2006 01:33:04 AM -0400 Ken Raeburn <raeburn at mit.edu>
wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2006, at 06:50, Praveen Kumar Sahukar wrote:
>> There can be cases where some of the mandatory DAL APIs are not
>> applicable to some database plug-ins. To handle such cases proper
>> status
>> say something like "Operation not supported" should be returned
>> back. I
>> was looking at adding the error code "Operation not supported" to the
>> kerberos error list.
>>
>> I wanted to know how to go about doing this.
>
> If the standard UNIX error code (ENOTSUP?) won't do (e.g., if it's
> UNIX/POSIX only and not available on other systems), add an entry at
> the end of lib/krb5/error_tables/kdb5_err.et.

EOPNOTSUPP is "Operation not supported on transport endpoint"; it appears
to be part of the sockets API, and so besides not really being right, I
doubt it is portable.

My FC3 system has no ENOTSUP or anything else like that.

It would seem to make sense in this case to define an error code for
"operation not supported by plugin" or even "database operation not
supported".

Note that the values of error codes are determined by the order in which
they appear in the .et file, and these values are not only part of the
Kerberos ABI, but also are frequently quoted out of context.  Take care not
to inadvertently change the values of existing error codes.

-- Jeff