concerns with ldap plugin and 1.5

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 9 21:03:45 EDT 2006

On Jun 9, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:53:10PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> You ought to be able to infer the dn from the principal name, based
>> on the (probably default) realm's configuration information.  In
>> other words "add hotz" should do the right thing.
>
> You can't always, not at principal creation time.
>
> The problem is that the kadmin create_principal command, and the
> protocol itself lack a way to convey principal type information.

The two main "types" (my definition, possibly not yours) are "users"
which are a single component name+realm, and "services" which are a
two-component name where the second is a FQDN.  Seems easy enough to
infer which is which.  Maybe you've got some other things like */
admin and */batch that get mapped differently, but that should be
generic config info, not something you have to put on a kadmin add
command IMO.

> Without principal name type information there are situations where the
> intended principal name type, and therefore, possibly, LDAP class
> and DN
> of the intended LDAP object, cannot be unambiguously determined.

I think the special cases like kdamin/changepw and krbtgt/* could
require extra options for correct handling.  They need special
handling anyway.  Be better if they don't though.

Is that what you mean?

> foo at BAR.COM might be intended to be a user principal, if a user exists
> with the name 'foo' in that organization.  Then again, this might be
> something else.

Yeah, but do we have to make everything hard just to be able to
handle the oddball stuff?

> Nico
> --

I don't know much about MIT's "policy" data.  Does it help if you
associate the necessary LDAP mappings with that data instead of the
realm?

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu