concerns with ldap plugin and 1.5

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 9 19:53:10 EDT 2006

On Jun 9, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Ken Raeburn wrote:

>>> add_principal -x userdn=<FDN of user object> <principal name>
>>
>> It seems to me that the extra argument ought to be associated with
>> the realm configuration.  It should not be required on every single
>> add command.
>
> How would that work?  I assume it would be used sort of like:
>
> add_principal -x userdn="cn=Ken Raeburn,ou=IS&T,dc=mit,dc=edu"
> raeburn at ATHENA.MIT.EDU
> add_principal -x userdn="cn=John Doe,ou=HR,dc=mit,dc=edu"
> jdoe at ATHENA.MIT.EDU

You ought to be able to infer the dn from the principal name, based
on the (probably default) realm's configuration information.  In
other words "add hotz" should do the right thing.

In my case my principal is hotz at JPL.NASA.GOV, and my DN is
"uid=hotz,ou=personnel,dc=dir,dc=jpl,dc=nasa,dc=gov".  The Sun LDAP
server nicely allows us to define exactly that mapping from the the
Kerberos principal to DN and also to reject non-JPL user (cross-
realm) tickets for SASL/GSSAPI binds.  The mappings can be pretty
arbitrary so you could e.g. map */admin users to the same place, or a
different place entirely.  (OK, it'll be another month or two before
SASL is supported, but that's the naming we use.)

Shouldn't I be able to do the same thing for an LDAP back-end for the
Kerberos service?

> If every user entry were in the same container and with a name
> matching the principal name (i.e., user name rather than real
> name), then a realm parameter would make sense.  But if people are
> broken down into organizations, and named differently from the
> principals, I don't think a single parameter for the realm is
> sufficient.  (Perhaps it might let you abbreviate the userdn spec
> somehow?)

Around here people are people and where they sit in the organization
is just an attribute or two.  Some part of the org tree probably
changes weekly.  Also it's a matrix organization so everyone exists
in at least two org trees.  Maybe that makes my case especially
simple, but I still think that the -x userdn... option should be
omittable most of the time.

I guess you want to handle the case that the Kerberos realm tree
doesn't map easily to the LDAP DIT.  Frankly I think you're screwed
in that case.  Better to just give up and put the Kerberos info in a
completely different branch from the organization info.  Otherwise
you'd have to do something *really* hard like manually specify the DN
for each and every user.  ;-)

Just my opinion, of course.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu