LDAP schema questions

K.G. Gokulavasan kgokulavasan at novell.com
Wed Jun 7 08:01:38 EDT 2006

<1149634758.20633.13.camel at amy.samba4.abartlet.net>, Andrew Bartlett
<abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> Sorry to be coming late to this discussion, but as I've just been
tasked
> with working with the MIT Kerberos LDAP backend, and I have some
> questions and concerns as to the schema:   (I have the schmea from
> current SVN, noted as Version 1.3, 2005)
>
> In particular, I'm surprised by the format of the krbSecretKey
> attribute:
>
> It seems to me that about a dozen different attributes have been
placed
> into this attribute.  Why is a such a complex structure used?  The
> Heimdal schema (which I am more familure with) encodes many of these
as
> separate attributes.  I'm thinking in particular of the times: why
not
> use pwdLastSet, or at worst a 'krb5KeyLastSet'?  Likewise, why is
there
> duplication between the krbPrincipalName and part of the
krbSecretKey?

> Likewise, why are the keys not in a multivalued attribute?  (Heimdal
> uses an asn1 structure to combine the key and salt, then places them
> into each value of the multivalued attribute)

Keys are multivalued attributes. But each value will be pertaining to a
kerberos principal identity. Each user in the directory can have more
than one principal identity(same realm or different realms). All the
different keys(e.g.des,des3,aes) of same version of a principal will be
stored in each value of the krbSecretKey attribute. All the principal
identities information are stored as part of User instead of cross
referencing for ease of administration. All the key related
information(key,key type, salt,salt type, key version, master key
version, last password change) of a principal are part of the
krbSecretKey attribute.

krbPrincipalName is part of the krbSecretKey to map the principal with
the key.

> Also, the document specifies many time attributes, but I'm unclear
what
> all the time formats are.  In particular, is krbMaxPwdLife in
seconds?

krbMaxPwdLife is the number of seconds (of the duration) that is added
to the Last Password Change value to compute the password expiration
time

Regards,
 Gokul.