LDAP schema questions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 6 20:55:59 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 10:43 +1000, Luke Howard wrote:
> >It seems to me that about a dozen different attributes have been placed
> >into this attribute.  Why is a such a complex structure used?  The
> >Heimdal schema (which I am more familure with) encodes many of these as
> >separate attributes.  I'm thinking in particular of the times: why not
> >use pwdLastSet, or at worst a 'krb5KeyLastSet'?  Likewise, why is there
> >duplication between the krbPrincipalName and part of the krbSecretKey?
>
> Is it to store the salting principal perhaps in case the principal is
> renamed?

No, the salt is stored with each key.

>  I really need to look at the code (is there are websvn link
> anywhere?)

svn://anonsvn.mit.edu/krb5/branches/ldap-integ

> Note that pwdLastSet is an AD-ism, you probably don't want this in a
> generic backend.

OK, but I still think we should be trying to have a single 'password
last changed' attribute (and synchronized passwords), rather than
pretending that users want to remember if they are typing their samba,
kerberos or shadow password...

> Also storing the key in a single-valued attribute may have some advantages
> as far as atomicity is concerned, depending on the replication model.

This I can understand, but unless you put all passwords into a single
blob, don't you just push the problem to syncronisation with other
password attributes?

Andrew Bartlett