concerns with ldap plugin and 1.5 (lack of migration tool)

Paul B. Hill pbh at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 6 10:15:04 EDT 2006

Hi,

I realize this may be a somewhat moot point at the moment, however I don't
consider the lack of an existing migration tool to be a show stopper.

I fully expect that as the LDAP plugin matures a migration tool will become
available.

With such a new feature in the MIT Kerberos distribution I would hope that
system administrators with existing realms would be extremely cautious about
making such a migration. However, history has shown that someone, somewhere,
is likely to make a poor decision and rush a migration without sufficient
testing and planning. Hopefully our reputation would not be damaged in such
a situation but given the quality of some news stories I do see a potential
risk.

I'd actually prefer to see the initial LDAP plugin released without a
migration tool. I'd rather see people create independent test realms or
start a new realm from scratch in order to gain some deployed experience
before jumping into a migration. Again, I do expect that a migration tool
will appear in the future, although I am not an active member of the MIT
Kerberos team and am not involved in any resource planning for such
development.

Paul