efault ACLs for FILE: ccaches on Windows

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 26 14:02:47 EDT 2006

I'm not sure I should get in the middle of this, but I will anyway.

It seems to me that the first question is whether a Windows port
should behave the way other platforms behave.  How to do that with a
minimum of platform-specific code seems secondary.

The problem is that the open() libc call on Windows is dangerously
(IMO) non-POSIX in its behavior.  So the question translates to:
should Windows file ccaches have the same permission semantics as on
other platforms?

Speaking as a non-Windows user, I'm in the "Windows is broken, so fix
it" camp, but others may disagree.  I can't evaluate how significant
it is that "power users" can read all ccache's, but it doesn't sound
good.

Based on a side-bar with Jeffrey, it sounds like using a POSIX-
compliant open() would break a lot of stuff and isn't a viable
alternative.  Pity.  If that weren't true then a compromise would be
possible, since it would put the fix in the Windows build system
rather than the code itself.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu