login policy plugins? (was Re: Lists of LDAP requirements

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at sun.com
Wed Jul 19 20:47:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:23:15PM -0500, Will Fiveash wrote:

> Sun Kerberos LDAP Plugin Requirements
> - I Schema
>    - 1 krb principal attributes missing
>         There are attributes missing that are needed to satisfy
>         customer requirements.  Should a krbLog structural object class
>         similar to the IBM Skibbie schema be used for this?
>       - last_success
>       - last_failed
>       - failed_auth_count

In regards to the missing items above I found a description of how to
deal with maintaining failed authentication count in
draft-behera-ldap-password-policy.txt.  In the draft there is:

5.3.4  pwdFailureTime

   This attribute holds the timestamps of the consecutive authentication
   failures.

      ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.1.19
      NAME 'pwdFailureTime'
      DESC 'The timestamps of the last consecutive authentication
      failures'
      EQUALITY generalizedTimeMatch
      ORDERING generalizedTimeOrderingMatch
      SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.24
      NO-USER-MODIFICATION
      USAGE directoryOperation )

So instead of using a single value attribute for failed_auth_count, a
multi-value attribute holding time-stamps of each failure to verify the
padata of a AS_REQ (the hostname of the KDC could be added for
uniqueness) could be used to track the failed_auth_count.  This would
help with dir. replication issues.  Unfortunately, I don't think the
DAL/SPI interface supports this in that the LDAP plugin would need to
update the time-stamp attribute but it can not determine when this needs
to be done.

This leads me to wonder if there should be a separate plugin interface
for dealing with login policy where login policy plugins would be called
by the KDC to determine if an AS_REP should be issued and when AS_REQ
padata verification fails.  The login policy plugin would deal with the
specifics of acquiring the login policy and logging success and
failures.  Thoughts?

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.