Error while compiling krb 1.5

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 10 19:22:35 EDT 2006

Are we barking up the wrong tree?  Let me propose the following:

As someone noted, you can use libdl to access symbols in a statically
linked program.  I think what we really want/need is code (and
configure logic) that will use libdl that way and Do The Right Thing
(TM) based on whether libdl is functional on the target platform,
independent of static/dynamic linking.  (Does MIT even support
platforms without a functional libdl?)

If you need a static build *with* a plug-in, then it's not
prohibited.  You get extra pain because it's (partly) outside MIT's
responsibility:  you get to do the linking yourself.

I think MIT should provide a functional static build with no plug-
in's (or with the minimally-necessary plug-in's).  If it's initially
buggy in the presence of extra statically linked plug-in's I think we
can live with that.  It's the nature of Open Source software that
"strange" configurations are buggy, at least to start with, and I
don't see this as a "core" configuration.

If the Sun-donated mech glue (thanks, Sun) won't support the above,
then maybe the static build only has the gss mechanism.

Does this help the discussion any?

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu