com_err reunification

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 9 17:01:59 EDT 2006

Ken Raeburn <raeburn at MIT.EDU> writes:

> True.  Though for issues like thread safety, I think it's important to
> consider *not* including the inherently-unsafe interfaces, specifically
> the direct manipulation of the global linked list in the generated .c
> files, so thread safety is *possible* through the support library.

Yes, if we could find a way to do the transition, I think we'd want to
transition to a library that supports only the safe interfaces and can't
do the wrong thing.  I just don't know how to do the transition.

I think the OpenAFS com_err adds locking in yet another different way, and
I'm not sure if something that just relies on pthreads would be sufficient
in OpenAFS (there's all that LWP stuff still in there, but I don't know
how it influences this problem).