Error while compiling krb 1.5

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Fri Jul 7 17:58:33 EDT 2006

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> writes:
> On Friday, July 07, 2006 02:56:00 AM -0400 Marcus Watts <mdw at umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > I believe your sharing problem is mostly not an issue if the two loaded
> > library instances can't "see" each other, because their names aren't
> > exported and visible to each other, including their mutex state and
> > globals.
>
> Two words: com_err

I can reduce that to one word.

	"Pain".

But I should probably expand that out for anyone who hasn't
run into this yet:

which compile_et are you using?
does it actually match the -lcom_err you're using?
does it actually match the com_err.h you're using?
is com_err.h under include, et, or afs?
are you really using the one that came with ext2fs which
	does no locking in any case?
if you are doing locking and are built as a shared object,
	do you resource leak or hang upon unloading?
did you get error_message from someplace you didn't expect
	or can't easily dodge like:
	libafsrpc.so (openafs)
	libkrb5.so (heimdal)
does your error table logic actually export _et_list?
are you using non-standard error table bases?
how did you expect to handle those special afs error codes anyways?
did you call the initialize_ hooks?  Do you need to call the
	initialize_ hooks?  Did your constructors run?
are your initialization hooks calling
	add_to_error_table
	add_error_table
	or manipulating _et_list directly?
		( and does it know about _et_dynamic_list? )
does your copy of error_message actually handle negative error
	numbers?
are you actually adding error tables to the list that your
	copy of error_message actually sees?

Admittedly, this isn't a kerberos 5 issue per se - it's
an integration issue.

				-Marcus