Error while compiling krb 1.5

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at spqr.komquats.com
Wed Jul 5 07:22:04 EDT 2006

In message <A9058466-70B7-4389-9FD7-3969577CA7F6 at mit.edu>, Ken Raeburn
writes:
> On Jul 5, 2006, at 06:28, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> >> Kerberos 1.5 does not support building without shared libraries.
> >
> > Is there a technical reason for this or is this just the way the
> > build system
> > works?
>
> More like the way the build system fails to work, at the moment.
> The support for building dynamically loadable modules (which are not
> always the same as shared libraries), selected on a per-directory
> basis (instead of via configure options as with static vs shared),
> doesn't currently interact well with the configure/makefile support
> for building static libraries.
>
> That is something we'd like to clean up, though it hasn't been high
> on our priority list, because so far as we're aware it's not urgent
> for most other people either; we expect the most popular and most
> important use cases by far to involve deploying shared libraries
> only.  (We could be wrong.  But so far I think this is only the
> second complaint we've heard since putting out the pre-1.5 test
> releases.)  Higher priority has been stuff like the dynamically
> loadable module support (infrastructure, KDC database interface,
> service location interface) and some other bits of new
> functionality.  (Some of which, unfortunately, still didn't make our
> 1.5 deadline, and will probably be in 1.5.1 or 1.6.)
>
> That said, we probably should've put a note in the release notes, and/
> or disabled the configure-time option with a message explaining the
> lack of static-library support for the moment....

I'm assuming that this will be fixed in a future release, right? The reason I ask is that I'm updating the FreeBSD krb5 port. If static library support will be fixed at some future time, I will leave the static library package infrastructure, albeit commented out for now, in the port's package list.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at komquats.com>

    "Lift long enough and I believe arrogance is replaced by
    humility and fear by courage and selfishness by generosity
    and rudeness by compassion and caring."
        -- Dave Draper