(Final?) krb5.Conf Lexer/Parser Proposal

Joseph Calzaretta saltine at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 9 10:49:48 EST 2006

At 09:32 AM 1/9/2006, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>I wouldn't you expand the API so the callers specify a file on which
>to perform each action; that makes the API much more unweildy (how
>*do* you specify which file you want to perform the action; it's OK
>to specify non-existing files to profile_init_path, so it can't be
>numerically).  In any case, this is exactly the same as restricting
>the read/write API to only opening one file at a time, and then
>forcing the applicaition to open each file separately --- in either
>case, the application is still shouldering the responsibility of
>figuring out the impliciation of combining several files.

Not if the API also tells the application which relations come from
which files (sorry if I left that out).  So if an application wants
to delete some relation, it would first ask the library where that
relation lives, and then tell the library to delete the relation out
of that file.  Or it could tell the library to delete the relation
out of some other file, which would either fail (if no finalizer
syntax or if you specify a file later in the chain) or succeed (by
using the finalizer to get it done, if possible.)  The application
could use, by default, the user file to add relations.  But if the
application was some special super admin tool, it could specify any
file in the chain it wanted.  In all of these cases, the application
does not have to precalculate/recalculate the implications of its
actions; it would receive this information from the library.

(Oh, as for specifying files, if you passed a non-existent tile to
profile_init_path(), then I imagine such a file should be created
when flushing back to that file.  That's what I'd want to happen
anyway...  so files could be specified numerically, unless I'm
missing something.)

Please understand, I'm not suggesting that particular method
seriously, as it does make the API quite unwieldy and gives too much
power and responsibility to the calling application.  I would expect
some kind of reasonable default behavior which largely shields the
calling application from having to know what's stored where.  If
there's no finalizer syntax, then the library deletes things from
where they are, and (by default) adds things to the first file in the
chain.  If there is finalizer syntax (with sufficient power to
delete  relations), then it makes all changes on the first file in
the chain unless the application says otherwise.  Again, some of
these changes could fail (Sorry, you can't delete that relation here,
that relation is read-only here.) if the application specifies
something nonsensical.

I don't want to get too sidetracked on exactly what the new API will
look like right now (although I understand that it's not fully
decoupled from the syntax discussion).  My original point was just
that whatever the new API turns out to be, it will be powerful enough
to do programmatic editing of the profile.

>It would probably make things easier in this case to consider adding
>the concept of a finalizer not just to a section, but to an individual
>relation, and to also extend the profile to support the concept of a
>"whitespace" relation, marks a relation as deleted.

So, for example,
foo = {
     bar = *
}
would prevent future files in the chain from creating a foo/bar = baz
relation?  Cool.

Without such extensions (or something like them) it seems to be not
just harder but generally impossible to make minimal changes in the
user file (i.e., changes that don't affect seemingly unrelated
sections of the profile).   If the API has to override and duplicate
an entire section just to change one relation, the next time the
system file updates that section, the user's profile will be
inexplicably (to the user) stuck with some stale version.  In which
case, it could be argued that the best thing for the API to do is to
always override the entire system file; at least the whole thing will
be stale instead of just some part.  Eh, maybe not. :-P Anyway I
agree that if we do decide to support finalizer syntax of some form,
it would have to be powerful enough to make minimal changes.

--Joe

Joe Calzaretta
Software Development & Integration Team
MIT Information Services & Technology