A fork of the profile library code....

Joseph Calzaretta saltine at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 5 10:10:54 EST 2006

Ted,

Okay cool, I'll take a look at it.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

One comment, re:
>I chose _not_ to support for arbitrary double quotes anywhere in the profile;
>there's no real need for tag names or section names with spaces

I'm not sure about this.  Since right now no tag names have spaces
(or equal signs) in them and people seem to be getting along just
fine, it's not an immediately urgent situation.  Examples off the top
of my head where a need may arise:

The [appdefaults] section has tag names which are supposed to be
application names.  On Windows & Mac systems, at least, an
application name may contain a space.  I know Windows allows equal
signs in file names.  I don't know if it would actually end up
happening in practice where someone would want such a program in
their [appdefaults] section, but it's a possibility.

Also, I hear tell of an eventual move toward IDN names, and Unicode
encodings.  Depending on the encoding chosen for the profile
configuration file, it's possible that the realm names in [realms]
may contain weird characters which may or may not conflict with some
of the special characters we're using.  Again, not sure if this would
occur in practice.  Most of the ways I can think of for that to go
down wouldn't end up introducing spaces or equal signs.  But who knows.

Just my "2\xC2\xA2"...

--Joe

Joe Calzaretta
Software Development & Integration Team