(Final?) krb5.Conf Lexer/Parser Proposal

Theodore Ts'o tytso at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 5 04:12:22 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:46:34PM -0500, Joseph Calzaretta wrote:
>    - the "final" signifier (asterisk '*') is no longer supported or
> treated as special.

You understand why the "final" signifier was implemented, right?  The
idea was to be able to provide the ability to have a user's ~/.krb5rc
override portions of /etc/krb5.conf.  So if KRB5_CONFIG is set to
~/.krb5rc:/etc/krb5.conf, then it is possible to override an entire
stanza by using the finalizer.

i.e., if ~/.krb5.rc contains:

[realms]
	ATHENA.MIT.EDU = {
		kdc = extra_kdc.mit.edu:88
	}*

Then the only KDC that will be returned will be extra_kdc.mit.edu:88;
without the finalizer, then the list of kdc's returned will be...

% ./test_profile ~/.krb5rc:/etc/krb5.conf query realms ATHENA.MIT.EDU kdc
extra_kdc.mit.edu:88
kerberos.mit.edu:88
kerberos-1.mit.edu:88
kerberos-2.mit.edu:88
kerberos-3.mit.edu:88

Is anyone actually using this?  I can't answer that question; but it
is useful functionality.  Whether or not it is worth preserving I will
leave to others to decide, but in case it wasn't understood why it was
originally added, this might be useful historical perspective.

						- Ted