Krb5 conf file parser: finalizer finale?

Joseph Calzaretta saltine at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 6 15:19:22 EST 2006

Hello again!

Okay, regarding the profile configuration file parser: (See
http://pch.mit.edu/pipermail/krbdev/2006-January/004001.html and
subsequent messages in the thread for context.)

The MIT Kerberos Team has met and discussed the finalizer feature at
some length.   After much discussion and arguments for both sides, we
have decided -not- to include the finalizer feature in the next
version of the profile library.  Here's why (as I recall):

- The feature is not strictly necessary:
   When users need to override the profile configuration in a way
that simple merging cannot accomplish, they can change the
KRB5_CONFIG environment variable and edit their own configuration
file as needed.  This allows as full control over the profile as one
could want, and the only sacrifice is modularity.  This is the most
important reason because it shows that the feature is, at best, a
convenience.  If KRB5_CONFIG weren't an option, there would be a more
solid argument for keeping the finalizer: there would be profile
configurations that users could only achieve by using the
finalizer.  But that is not the case.

- The feature does not seem to be widely used.
   We haven't yet found anyone who uses it.  It seems the most common
use of multiple config files is to add new sections (e.g., realms)
and to override "single-value" relations (e.g., default_realm), and
these do not require the finalizer.  Of course, once we remove this
feature, Murphy's Law dictates that millions of heretofore unknown
finalizer users will come swarming out of their hiding places.  We
can tell these people to change their KRB5_CONFIG environment variable.

- The feature as implemented uses a nonintuitive syntax:
   An asterisk is not a particularly good indicator of
finality.  Changing the syntax for the same feature (e.g., using an
exclamation point or the word "final") could fix this, but introduces
logistical headaches.  (e.g., how do you deal with existing files
that use the old syntax, or use the new syntax unexpectedly?)

- The feature is not as fully implemented as it should be to be more
generically useful:
   It does not allow individual relations to be overridden.  Nor does
it allow relations, sections, or subsections to be deleted.  Thus
even with this feature, modularity is somewhat sacrificed, and
changing KRB5_CONFIG may not be a particularly worse
option.  Expanding the feature by allowing "foo=bar*" and "foo=*" or
"foo*" would improve the situation, but again introduces logistical
headaches with backwards compatibility.

- Any implementation of such a feature makes it quite difficult to
build an effective GUI tool which both programmatically edits
multiple config files and portrays the results of the merged tree
structure to the user:
   In showing the tree to the user, how do you indicate a
value/section is finalized?  Do you also show the overridden vales
and indicate which file they're in?  If you delete a value or section
from a file where it doesn't exist, do you delete to white-out or to
transparency?  If you always delete to white-out, you run the risk of
slowly duplicating one of the files and giving up on modularity.  If
you delete to transparency, you end up surprising the user when
relations or even whole sections "appear out of nowhere".  True,
logistical headaches show up even without the finalizer, but not as
many and not as intense.

So, for those reasons, we're not going to implement the
finalizer.  This does not preclude us from reintroducing the
finalizer or some similar functionality in a future version of the
library, if users demand it or the situation changes in some other
way.  Also, please keep in mind that there are other
non-finalizer-related parts of the new parser (see
http://pch.mit.edu/pipermail/krbdev/2006-January/003998.html ) which
you may not have reviewed.  If you have any comments, questions, or
concerns, please let us know.  Thanks!

Yours,

Joe Calzaretta
Software Development & Integration Team