Null realms and servers

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 19 10:47:37 EST 2006

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at sun.com> writes:

>  - I've convinced Sam that the fallback host2realm algorithm that I
>    described, in conjunction with referrals, will be very useful.
>
>    Specifically the algorithm we propose allows zero-configuration
>    clients to prosper in any environment that has the following
>    characteristics:
>
>     - Realm names correspond to DNS domain names, but without
>       necessarily having a sub-realm for every sub-domain.  E.g.,
>
>       .sun.com = SUN.COM
>       .east.sun.com = SUN.COM
>       .central.sun.com = SUN.COM

How do you determine the base domain for a realm hierarchy?
E.g. what kind of algorithm do you use to decide whether
w.x.y.z maps to Y.Z or X.Y.Z?  For example, how would you
handle myhost.oxford.ac.uk?  Or even myhost.mydept.oxford.ac.uk?
Obviously you wouldn't want this to map to domain AC.UK.

How do you algorithmically differentiate between foo.oxford.ac.uk
and foo.east.sun.com?

-derek