Null realms and servers

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Fri Dec 15 18:58:54 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:51:35PM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> I believe that matching against the default realm is the correct
> change for this case.

It is not.

Just a few days ago I discussed with Sam an alternative fallback
host2realm resolution that Solaris will likely soon sport:

   If there are no domain_realm relations (by default there are none)
   and use of DNS for host2realm resolution is off (by default it is),
   then:

    while (the hostname has more than two domain labels) {
	strip off the leading label;
	if (find KDC for the realm that corresponds to the
		remaining domainname)
	    return (realm that corresponds to the remaining dname);
    }

    if (there is a default realm)
	return (default realm);

    return (host2realm(of local host's FQDN));

Nico