Fwd: [krbdev.mit.edu #4975] Checksum type 14 undefined

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 7 16:34:33 EST 2006

Kevin> If the Windows 2003 KDC returns a pkinit reply with a checksum rather
Kevin> than the insecure nonce, it uses checksum type 14.  This type is defined
Kevin> in RFC3961, but not in the current code.  I'm assuming that
Kevin> Vista/Longhorn will also use this checksum type.

Kevin> If we hack the pkinit code to use checksum type 9 when we get back 14,
Kevin> it works.  I do not know if a simple alias of type 9 is the correct answer.

Does anyone depend on cksum type 9 being unkeyed SHA1?  I'm not sure
whether RFC 3961's assignment precedes the use in our implementation
or not.

---Tom