Issues w/ timezones on gssftpd

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Fri Dec 1 00:04:15 EST 2006

On Thursday, November 30, 2006 08:54:25 PM -0700 Philip Prindeville
<philipp at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, November 30, 2006 06:37:04 PM -0700 Philip Prindeville
>> <philipp at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, if tzset() ran successfully previously, then got called a second
>>> time and failed to find its files...  should it clobber previously good
>>> results? Or retain them?
>>>

>> That question is out of scope for this forum -- we don't get to decide
>> what  that API is.  The documentation describes the way in which tzset
>> changes  the timezone settings; it does not say anything about it ever
>> leaving them  unchanged.
>>
>> I think Ken's conclusion is correct - if you want logging in a chroot
>> jail  to produce correct timestamps, then you must set up the jail with
>> the  necessary files to enable that to work.  This is a general issue,
>> not a  problem with Kerberos or gssftpd, and not one that can be easily
>> worked  around.
>>
>> -- Jeff
>>

> Well, if tzset() were to be fixed independently, would my patch
> (as last posted) be acceptable?

I don't see why not, though it won't help people who don't have the tzset
change.  But I don't get to make that decision.

In any case, I think you'll have a hard time convincing vendors that the
present behavior is not more consistent with the spec than what you propose.

-- Jeff