Doing away with changelogs

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 19 15:56:11 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:30:54 AM -0400 Alexandra Ellwood
<lxs at mit.edu> wrote:

> It sounds like the problem people use the Changelogs to solve is
> "what change introduced this new behavior I don't like."
>
> I suspect this need would be fulfilled by just improving our release
> notes so that they list all the bugs fixed and the svn commit lines
> to show what files were impacted by each change.

Answering that question in this way also requires that your release notes
describe every new bug that was _introduced_ in that release.

But yes; if your release notes contained an actual description of every
change, that would go a long way toward answering both "what caused this
problem" and "will this release fix my problem".  Of course, it would also
look an awful lot like a ChangeLog...