Doing away with changelogs

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 17 17:30:16 EDT 2006

    Derek> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> writes:
    >> However, I also think that it would be a big win for source
    >> distributions to include a copy of a ChangeLog file which is
    >> generated automatically based on the subversion logs.  Such a
    >> file would collect all the information in one place, and
    >> increase its accessibility to people separated from the svn
    >> server in time and/or space.

    Derek> I can certainly provide simple Makefile glue that would
    Derek> build a ChangeLog from the svn log, if that's something
    Derek> that would make this easier for you.

No, technically it would be easy to do.  We have mostly decided not to
do it because we feel that we'd want to do a manual cleanup pass after
generating the changelog and we've decided not to dedicate those
resources.

A source release is the sources necessary to build a particular
release.

To do development you are going to need access to the repository and
bugs database.  That's roughly the same as many other open source projects.

--Sam