ccache using linux Keyrings

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Fri Apr 14 17:05:17 EDT 2006

On April 14, 2006 9:47:11 AM -0600 "Wachdorf, Daniel R" <drwachd at sandia.gov> wrote:
> You really don't want to have GSSD searching the file system to find the right credentials cache
> for a user.  First, it doesn't have access to the environmental information - so if the
> credentials are not within the default location it will have to go find them.

I've always wanted to add a hook to gssd so that you could "forcibly" give
credentials to or revoke credentials from it.  Rather than have gssd search
the filesystem.  Shouldn't be hard, just never got a round tuit.  That'd
solve the well-known name problem.

> Second, this really prevents any multi credential per UID access model.   You would not be able
> to have multiple Kerberos credentials when doing nfsv4.
> I think the hope is that keyring credentials cache will provide a way of allow per thread an per
> process credentials when using NFSv4.

I don't see how, unless it's a real PAG-like thingy, which AFAIK the Linux
keyring is not.  The kernel will still have to look for a well known keyring.

BTW, it's not just NFSv4, it's nfs/gss (and as Nico points out, it's not
just kerberos).  I've been using gss (krb5) with nfsv3 for a few years now.

-frank