Case insensitive names (was Re: Turning off hostnamecanonicalisation)

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Tue Sep 13 19:28:29 EDT 2005

"Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org> wrote in message
news:1126651724.9663.113.camel at localhost.localdomain...

>>     Nicolas> The proposed set/change password version 2 protocol deals
>>     Nicolas> with principal aliasing...
>>

>> It requires that the KDC be able to enumerate all the principals that
>> a particular service can be known as.  That is not compatible with
>> case insensitive keytabs in an interoperable manner.
>
>I don't get this.  If the KDC knows that it is case insensitve, then why
>can't it just include an extra boolean to the effect of 'and all case
>variations of the above'?  The set/change password isn't RFC yet, right?
>And why can't we have a similar flag in a keytab entry?
>
>It seems to me that current sites using unix kerberos are jumping though
>some very high hoops to avoid this kind of extension.  Likewise, it is
>forcing applications (such as Samba3) to manually enumerates all entries
>in a keytab to implement such a behaviour.

I would think you could do the same as MS. Have only one RC4 key (e.g
host/fqdn) and dynamically create
others you need (Assuming they all belong to the same AD entry)
If you look at ktutil which has the add_entry function (e.g.
add_entry -key -p CIFS/HOSTname -k 1 -e RC4  and
then use the host/fqdn key you get from klist -ekK as input)  you create a
CIFS/HOSTname keytab entry. You only need to add this code into samba3.