krbdev Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 8 17:59:26 EDT 2005

On Sep 8, 2005, at 9:02 AM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

>     Will> And if the admin is trying to limit the skey enctypes for a
>     Will> particular service on a particular system, are they supposed
>     Will> to use the permitted_enctypes krb5.conf parameter?  If so,
>     Will> doesn't this affect all services on that system?
>
> Yes.  We have not seen a customer need to limit enctypes on a
> per-service (instead of per-system) basis.
>
> Certainly any policy on what the service will accept needs to be
> validated at the service.

Example:  Solaris 9 machine.

Need des-cbc-{crc,md5} only for host/machine for compatibility with
built-in Kerberos.

Want rc4/des3/aes for HTTP/machine because it's using independent
(MIT/Heimdal) libraries.

Want rc4/des3/aes for host/machine also for OpenSSH, but I can't
exactly do this, can I?

I have a hard time imagining the session key having different
restrictions than the service key, but maybe the above SSH example
qualifies.
----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu