mod_auth_kerb and kerberos

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 8 17:32:22 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 09:40 -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> Well, personally, I don't like having code that keeps your permanent
> password on file, which is what I understand NTLMx requires.  OTOH I
> like having better compatibility.
>
> Is this functional if you don't have an LDAP back-end on Heimdal?  I.e.
> don't you need some different key information than a standard kdc uses?

mod_ntlm_winbind talks to ntlm_auth (a samba component), which typically
talks to a windows-compatible domain controller of some kind.  The
passwords are handled at the DC, not at the webserver.  Indeed, the DC
requires keeping the NT password hash, but as it's usually doing so
anyway, that isn't an extra risk.

Andrew Bartlett