mod_auth_kerb and kerberos

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 7 21:04:35 EDT 2005

5.0-rc6 works fine with Heimdal 0.6.x and MIT 1.3.x.  I published a
patch for Heimdal 0.7 on one of the Heimdal lists a bit ago.  I've
since patched it to work with MIT 1.4.x, but have further modifications
to make.  If you can prove you're a US citizen I can send you the mods.
  ;-P

As best I understand the situation, mod_auth_kerb was the testbed for
open-source re-implementation of Microsoft's SPNEGO on the server side.
  Since then SPNEGO has been added to the gssapi implementations of both
Heimdal and MIT distributions, so that code can be deleted.

Furthermore I *think* there have been caching improvements in both IE
and the Mozilla negotiate module so you don't need the code to defeat
MIT's replay cache either.  At any rate a reload from Firefox works
fine.

The only problem I'm seeing with all that crud (er. stuff) deleted is
if you point Apple's Safari at it the SPNEGO fails (which is
appropriate), but it doesn't fall back to a basic-auth prompt.

If I'm missing something, or if I'm misrepresenting something, someone
please let me know.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu