Change in K4 ticket cache format

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Sun Oct 30 11:13:46 EST 2005

On Sunday, October 30, 2005 07:12:25 AM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman at mit.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>> I should think a krb4 library would already know the local byte order,
>> since you need to know that in order to handle the "sender's choice"
>> byte ordering used in the krb4 protocol.  Lacking that, I believe there
>> is an autoconf test for this.
>
> Please be aware of the MacOS X case in which it is going to be the case
> on the new Intel hardware that you will have applications using both
> byte orderings on the same machine at the same time.

Well, that is going to break a lot of things.  If MacOS is one of them,
I won't shed a tear.  OTOH, do we expect MacOS X on Intel to run any
_existing_ LSB-first applications (i.e. built for other platforms)?  If
not, then we could simply define the file format for MacOS-X to always use
MSB-first byte order, and the library would need to know to use the usual
network byte-order-conversion operations when reading and writing ticket
files.

Of course, as Sam points out, if MIT has never supported krb4 file caches
on OSX, then this becomes a moot issue.