Change in K4 ticket cache format

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Oct 18 15:41:57 EDT 2005

On Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:02:08 PM -0400 Sam Hartman
<hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:

> Jeff points out that you really don't want to write out the alignment
> record on MSB-first systems.

Well, not the LSB-first alignment record, anyway.
When we did this inadvertently, we found that neither our own code nor
unmodified krb4 implementations could process the resulting ticket file
past the first alignment record.

By all means, if you can come up with an alignment record that works for
MSB-first platforms, use it (and tell me what it is, so I can update my
heimdal patches).  If not, well, don't let that prevent you from finishing
the work as it applies to LSB-first systems.  In this case, I think an
improvement for only some platforms is much better than none at all.

-- Jeff