Proposed lexer for parsing krb5.conf files

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 22 17:04:24 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:41:33PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Speaking as the person who originally came up with the profile format,
> the design goals were:
>
> [...]
>
> The main reason why I chose not to use XML originally were:
>
> [...]

The krb5.conf format isn't too bad, and XML wasn't/isn't all that much
better (though it is) as to justify heaping scorn on the krb5 config
profile authors.

But time passes and issues accumulate.  The lack of a configuration tool
means that the configuration tool for krb5.conf is $EDITOR, and that
causes I18N problems that will soon bite.  The primary allure of any
other format, for me, is that it's a chance to start with a clean slate
-- even taking backwards compatibility into account (a significant
constraint, that).

Nico