Deprecated Functions

Brown, Deborah deborah.brown at lmco.com
Wed Nov 16 08:21:51 EST 2005

I work for Lockheed-Martin as a software engineer in the Mission Control Center, JSC.  We are currently working on an effort to port all of our workstation software from OSF1 to RHEL 4.2 (with an intermediate step-up to RHEL 3.4).  We use Kerberos to authenticate some servers & clients internal to the Control Center.

In stepping up from KRB5 1.2.7 to KRB5 1.3.4, two functions that we use have been deprecated -- krb5_get_in_tkt_with_skey &  krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password.  I know that we can continue to use them by setting KRB5_DEPRECATED to 1 (which we have done and we do get clean compiles; we also had to set KRB5_PRIVATE).  And, I have read in an internet newsgroup (Sam Hartman 9/8/2004) that as of version 1.4, the APIs still are not being removed.  But, we still aren't completely comfortable with continuing to use them.

My first question is, in general when APIs are made to be deprecated how do we determine what the equivalent replacements are?

And secondly, in this specific instance are there equivalent APIs available for krb5_get_in_tkt_with_skey &  krb5_get_in_tkt_with_password?

Thank you.

Debbie Brown
Office (281) 853-2121
Pager (713) 788-7795