krb5 vs Windows trust relationships in AD

Garth T Kidd garthk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:21:05 EST 2005

Interesting: if I change [libdefaults] default_realm = DOMAIN.COM,
then kinit -V user or kinit -V user at DOMAIN.COM causes Kerberos 5
traffic to the KDC. My new error message is:

    kinit(v5): KDC reply did not match expectations while getting
initial credentials

... which I suspect is due to the lack of a machine account.

Now, how do I fire this via the trusting domain?