Current ideas on kerberos requirements for Samba4

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 24 12:23:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 07:32:30AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:

> Nobody is going to just drop it in and turn it on
> and go merrily on their way. Not even Windows administrators.

Yes they are. *Especially* Windows administrators :-). Really.

You're living in a different, self-selected world than we are.
Samba *3* is currently much too hard to use for most people,
and it does much less than Samba4.

> Some times, hordes of annoying questions can be a good motivator for
> projects to improve their docs and/or ease-of-use. It certainly exposes
> weak spots...

You've ignored them so far, why would it change now ? :-).

I worked on Kerberos 5 back in 1997. It was hard to use then,
and it's hard to use now. Error messages are opaque and troubleshooting
tools virtually non-existant. I did do a rant about it on
comp.protocols.kerberos once and Sam rightly told me to stop
whining and help fix it :-). But I currently don't have the
time.

But Samba4 needs to be as easy to use and install as W2K. If
it isn't it will fail.

Jeremy.