Change in K4 ticket cache format

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 17 02:09:32 EDT 2005

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at columbia.edu> writes:

> There are clearly 64-bit issues with the Kerberos 4 code.  The
> CREDENTIALS data structure in the older krb4 library (as used on Windows
> for example) shows the issue_date as a "long" and not a KRB4_32.

> The krb_save_credentials() function in both the krb4-compat library and
> the original krb4 library use a "long" for the issue_date parameter.
> The ccache-glue.c code uses a "long", the memcache uses a "long", as
> well as everything else in the krb4-compat library.

> The declaration of the CREDENTIALS struct in the krb4-compat version of
> krb.h as KRB4_32 goes back at least to the 1.0 release.  Clearly there
> was an intention to convert from the use of "long" to KRB4_32 at some
> point which was never followed through.

Well, in 1.2 everything used KRB4_32 uniformly.  It was only in 1.3 that
the read and write functions switched back to a long.  (Maybe for
compatibility with old krb4 libraries?)

> I do not believe that this is worth fixing at this point other than to
> perhap change the KRB4_32 back to "long".  MIT has already announced the
> end of life for Krb4 support.  Between the end of life statement and the
> 64-bit compatibility issues MIT has concluded that new 64-bit platforms
> such as KFW for 64-bit Windows will not contain krb4 support.

Okay, fair enough.  In that case, I'll just keep patching KTH Kerberos for
compatibility.

More motivation for us to get off of K4.  :)