Buildilng Krb5 against Sun Crypto Accelerators?

Todd Zino tcz3 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 11 11:08:43 EST 2005

We're investigating how to leverage the hardware crypto accelerators in
SunBlade machines with our builds of Kerberos for KDC and running crack to
audit password strength (as a followup to an earlier thread I started here,
I did get crack 5.0 working with the latest krb5 1.3.6 after some tweaking
of the salt/key algorithms in crack src0.

Has anyone had any experience trying to build the latest krb5 distributions
against the Sun crypto accelerator hardware? From reading Sun's whitepapers
and sales pitches, I get the impression that all major DES/RSA crypto
algorithms are embedded in the hardware, but the only 'supported' software
is OpenSSL 0.9.x and Apache 1.3.x (both in outdated incarnations according
to the last sales sheets I could find at sun.com).

Please share any adventures or gory details if you've embarked on this
fool's quest already at some point in the past. I'll report any
breakthroughs we have over here as we continue to noodle with it.

--Todd