-lresolve missing error in building krb5 on amd64

Parag Mhashilkar parag at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:03:31 EST 2005

I am trying to build krb5-1.3.4 on amd64, rhas3 and configure doesn't seem
to like it. I know this has been discussed at various places but couldn't
find a real solution to the problem. Any help will be really appreciated.
Following is the output from configure and other related info -

------------
[root at nmi-rhas3-amd64 src]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 4)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root at nmi-rhas3-amd64 src]# uname -a
Linux nmi-rhas3-amd64.cs.wisc.edu 2.4.21-9.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 16:52:31
EST 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root at nmi-rhas3-amd64 src]# ./configure --without-tcl
configure: loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
Looking for ././config
configure: adding extra warning flags for gcc
built in krb4 support
checking which version of com_err to use... krb5
checking which version of subsystem package to use... krb5
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking if DNS Kerberos lookup support should be compiled in... yes
checking for res_search... no
checking for res_search in -lresolv... no
configure: error: Cannot find resolver support routine res_search in
-lresolv.
[root at nmi-rhas3-amd64 src]#

Thanks and Regards,
Parag Mhashilkar              University of Wisconsin-Madison
Systems Programmer            Department of Computer Sciences
Condor Project Research       1210 West Dayton Street
parag at cs.wisc.edu             Madison, WI 53706-1685