Will the Real get-a-tgt-with-a-password Function Please Stand Up?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 3 12:44:46 EDT 2005

This might suddenly become urgent, so apologies for my obsolete
background for this question, but:

There is a function in the (admittedly obsolete) MIT API document that
will get a tgt, given a password as input.  Looking at the Heimdal and
MIT source for the kinit program a couple of years ago it struck me
that neither one of them used that function.  They each appeared to use
different, other routines for that function.

What's the "right", implementation-independent way to do that?  Is the
answer different if you are just checking passwords and don't need to
keep the tgt?
----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu