One more question WRT gssapi...

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 26 18:02:39 EDT 2005

Jiva:

Why don't you explain to us what you are attempting to accomplish?

Does one of your two endpoints represent an end-user?
Or are both of your endpoints services that represent machines?

When using GSSAPI Kerberos, the initiator of the authentication must
have an initial credential (aka a Ticket Granting Ticket) prior to
the call to gss_acquire_cred() or gss_init_context().  If the initiator
represents an end user, the user typically obtains a TGT either a login
or via a kinit call.  The user provides her principal name and a
password or smart card or another form of proof of identity and the
Kerberos KDC issues an initial TGT to the user.

If the initiator does not represent a user or is running as a detached
long term background process, the process may be given access to a
keytab containing the long term key for the initiators principal.  This
keytab is then used with a kinit call to obtain an initial TGT.

The TGT is used during the gss_init_context() call to obtain a Kerberos
service ticket for the service you are attempting to authenticate to.

Jeffrey Altman