Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

Michael Graff explorer at flame.org
Wed Jul 6 08:02:19 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 21:29, Jeffrey Altman scribbled:
> Andrew:
>
> These tools still have extremely wide use.   I cannot speak for Heimdal
> but my opinion regarding the MIT distribution is that these apps should
> be separated from the core libraries and be maintained and distributed
> in an independent package.

I'm not certain if you are looking beyond MIT's use and into other areas, but
most places I know of use Kerberos 5 as an authentication server and ignore
all of rsh, rcp, telnet, ftp, etc.  Why?  The system tools do kerberos well
enough, and installing another set of tools is a pain.

--Michael